Primary Source: “Strange Fruit” Recorded by Billie Holiday (1939)
- What was the major social impact of the Great Migration?
- Identify the major push and full factors of movement?
- How does Strange Fruit use imagery to explore the South as a place of terror?
Want more of “The Show Must Go On” series? Click below to view other lessons.
- Christopher Smith & Michael Borshuk on Josephine Baker
- Bill Deverell on Woody Guthrie’s “This Land” (1940-1945)
- Kim Nalley on Nina Simone & “Mississippi Goddamn”
- Jacob Remes on the Salem Fire of 1914
- Barry Bradford on “South Pacific” and Racism
- Jack Hamilton on Jimi Hendrix
- Sarah Gold McBride on the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition
- Karen L. Cox on Protesting Black Stereotypes at the Movies: The Case of “Gone with the Wind”