April 25, 2017. The Gay Rights Movement & Harvey Milk in San Francisco
April 27, 2017. 1992 Los Angeles Riots, O.J. Simpson, & the Racial Legacy of USC in the West
- *N.W.A. “Fuck tha Police” and “Straight Outta Compton” (1988) [Warning: Explicit]
- *Rodney King Beating & 1992 LA Riots
- *Smithsonian Lost Tapes of LA Riots [Watch on link]
- *Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
- *Magic Johnson AIDS Special, 1992 Clip
Documentaries I recommend currently on Netflix & Hulu:
California and the Long LGBT Movement
Los Angeles in the Era of Rodney & Riots
- Submit Santa Anita revisions via e-mail including your bio, overall project title, individual project title, a mini explanation of your segment to orient the reader (this can be a few sentences), and insight related to desired order of features.
- Historians do not yet have a consensus on how the events that took place in the 1980s or 1990s shaped the American past. From this archival footage, what can you glean about this era? What arguments would you make? How does it relate or differ from the world you inhabit in 2017?